Wednesday, October 1, 2008

When is a good question

So, as you can see we had a busy weekend with Wyatt's birthday, but it was so much fun! I was shocked that as an adult I could actually have a good time at Chuck e cheese.
So, today was the big day with Dr. Akereley up at Huntsman. I went up early and did a blood draw that he had requested me to do. When we talked to him about the decision I made for my treatment, he was all for whatever I wanted to do. He went over the cons and pros again, Justin was there this time and wanted to hear it briefly, of all the treatment options. I told him I am pretty set on doing the Interlukin II in the hospital. He agreed that this is a good option for me as I am young and strong. The only problem is that he's not the doctor in charge of this particular treatment. So, I should get a call tomorrow and set up an appointment with Dr. Agarwal-Internal Medicine. He specializes mostly in kidney, prostate, bladder and then head and neck cancer. He will be the one to administer the Interlukin. To qualify for this treatment I will need to do a stress test on my heart and lungs and make sure they are strong enought to endure this. It will be done on a treadmill. That should be pretty easy for me considering I am on the treadmill or exercising 4-5 days a week. Makes me really glad I've been doing that cuz now I won't have to stress over passing that.
I should hear something tomorrow from Dr. Agarwal's nurse and hopefully get that set up Thursday or Friday and if we can get things done quickly enough, I could possibly be in the hospital Monday. If not, it could be sometime in the next two weeks. I'll keep that updated as I know more.
As far as treatment goes, I have been corresponding with my nurse I've had up at Huntsman in the hospital side, Becky. She works in the Special Care Unit (where I would be) and sees patients who are undergoing Interlukin II. I am thankful for her insight on what I can expect. She told me I'll feel like I have a pretty bad case of the flu including fever, chills, aches, diarrhea, nausea. Dr. Akereley told me to expect to be very tired and my skin will turn a reddish hue.
Becky also said that they check 2-3 times a day to see how I am feeling and to administer more Interlukin or not depending on how I am tolerating it or if I need to recover a little. She said that I will have a heart monitor and lots of IV tubing that will drive me crazy!
I am not sure if I will be up for visitors or not. We'll have to wait and see. I should be in the hospital for 7-10 days depending on how long it takes me to recoop after they pull the plug on the drug. Dr. Akerely says I will pretty much have to be dancing to go home. Basically be able to stand up and not get dizzy and be able to take care of all my normal functions.
That's all I know for now. I'll post as soon as I know more.
Thanks again for all the words of encouragement and love from everyone!

3 comments:

abancroft said...

You have so many angels watching over you and your family right now. It is amazing. I love you so much! You are an inspiration to me always. Adelf

WX Ences said...

Well Happy Birthday to Wyatt! Looks like it was a pretty good time! I loved the video of him dancing in Brooklyn's room...those moments are always my favorite, when they are totally inhibited!

It sounds like things are progressing well! I'm glad to hear everything is moving along. Please let us know if we can help out with the kids or anything while you're in the hospital. We'd love to help out. We're moving (officially) this weekend so we'll have plenty of extra space at the new house. We'd also love to come see you when, and if, you are feeling up to visitors...perhaps Joe and I could get another date night out of it!

We love you and wish you luck! You are in our prayers...

-Audri

WX Ences said...

I meant to type "uninhibited"...it's late and my brain went to bed hours ago...I really should read back over what I wrote before I publish it, huh?!?!

label