Monday, October 6, 2008

First Day Down

I got up this morning and was all ready by nine, when they told me to call to see if my room was ready. They had me call back an hour later and then two hours later. They finally ended up calling me around 1:00. My room was ready.
When we got here, I found out my nurse was Becky, who came in and gave me a big hug! It makes it so nice to have a friend up here. She is so sweet and always takes good care of me. She has been my nurse for the last two surgeries. We have been emailing since April.
She's been so helpful and great! Also, my aide from my last two surgeries, Brad was here and stopped by to say hi. How fun!
So, I got to meet Dr. Agarwal a couple hours after being here. Justin came up with me and had the day off. Dr. Agarwal talked to us about what to expect and told me I should start feeling side effects by morning. Some feel it sooner. I got my first dose of IL-II at 6 tonight. I will get a dose every 8 hours as long as I am tolerating it well. They watch my blood pressure very closely. This medicine makes my blood vessels leak fluid and makes my blood pressure drop. I will swell up because of it. As soon as I am done with treatments this will go away very quickly.
I take my last dose on Friday night (I thought it was a 7 day week of treatment, turns out to be 5) and should be feeling good enough to come home Saturday or Sunday.
They warned me that I could be feeling sleeplessness, which I am. I feel kind of wired, even after a shot of Demorol, which I think wore off after a couple hours. They have preordered all kinds of meds for me like sleeping pills, nausea pills, pain pills, fever and chills meds and much more that I can't remember.
So, my first day down and counting down to waking up feeling bad. Till then...

3 comments:

Mama said...

Hey, did you try to leave me a message? I didn't get one. So...what am I doing this week? Should I call your mom? Anyway, I'm praying that the side effects are minimal and for your comfort. The whole ward is praying for you.
Luv u!
Jen

kstrack said...

You will do great! you are so strong!

Justin and kids said...

Jen, I tried to send you an email. My mind is a bit weird right now. We are taken care of this week. Thanks so much!

label