Sunday, April 19, 2009

Update on Michelle from Justin

Michelle was allowed to come home today from the Huntsman Cancer Hospital. She was there for 12 days this time around. She has spent 28 of the last 38 days in the hospital. After several days of fishing for an infection, countless needle sticks and bags and bags of medication, it was determined that she likely never had an infection and that it is either the cancer itself or her body recognizing that there is a problem somewhere and trying to fight it off. Either way, no infection so Dr. Akerly decided to go ahead and start a new chemotherapy treatment. The treatment is designed to help shrink the tumors with very limited side effects. She has to take pills 5 days in a row, 23 days off, 5 days in a row and 23 days off. At that point they will evaluate her to determine if the treatment is working and continue the treatment if effective and discontinue if not.
Michelle is on a Fentanyl pain pump and oxygen 24 hours a day. She is still dealing with a lot of pain from her last surgery as well as other issues that her body is dealing with. Hopefully being home will provide her an emotional boost that will reflect physically and allow her some time to enjoy the kids outside of a hospital room. She really needs to take the next 24 hours to get situated at home before I would like to see her recieve many visitors. Please call me if you are just dying to see her and I will let you know if she is really feeling up for visitors. Her time at home is precious so I would like to allow her as much time to enjoy the kids and her family as much as possible.
As for me, I have one more day in this class before I get a little bit of a break. I have adjusted my work schedule as well to provide me more time at home with the kids at night. I have been blessed with great parents and in laws that not only help with the kids and around the house but also allow me an opportunity to have some much needed time for myself to keep me balanced.

7 comments:

Mama said...

We love you guys. We're praying for you and your family. Love, Justin & Jen

doulajulie said...

We are so glad you are home Michelle! That view outside your hospital window would get old after awhile. Much hugs. Big hug to you too Justin.

Kenison Family said...

I am so glad that you were able to come home! As always, you are in our prayers. We would love to do anything we can for you! Please let me know if you need anything!
Love, Rachel

Penny said...

Michelle we are so happy that you are finally home with your family! know that you and you family are always in our prayers. Love the McGrews

Anonymous said...

We are so glad that you are home! Much Love!!!

The Weaver Family (0:

Adam said...

Sounds pretty rough. We're thinking about you, and Cole even said a prayer for you too. Every little bit helps, right?
Hope everything starts to get better...

-Adam-

Sarah said...

Nothing's better than your own bed and blankets, and your sweet family surrounding you. I hope that those things can combine with the beautiful sunshine and weather to help boost your spirits and bring you peace.
Here's to a better tomorrow.....

Sarah

label