Sunday, January 11, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Friday night after everyone left and I was supposed to go to sleep, I couldn't. I asked for the same medications they had been giving me every night to help me sleep, but for some reason my nurse that night told me they don't give those meds to IL-II patients! Are you kidding me? I've had them every night all week. So an hour and a half later I convinced her to give me 2 out of the 3 meds and by this time I am getting a horrendous headache. I am convinced I didn't sleep because that 3rd med was left out! I was so mad at her! I know she was just doing her job, but there are only 5 rooms and more than just her in the Special Care Unit. Oh well, it's over now. I tossed and turned the entire night. I maybe slept a couple hours. The funny part of that night (looking back now) is that I had a lot of hallucination type dreams. They had warned me that I might hallucinate and see spiders on the walls and stuff like that. So in between trying to sleep I thought Brooklyn and Wyatt were there having a sleepover, I thought my cat was there jumping up on the table beside me at least three times, and I kept hearing people and thought I saw people coming in and out of my room. Take it as you may.
I stayed an extra day this time because my last treatment weeks, the day I got home was the worst days. The first time home I went to the E.R. with the worst pain I've ever had in my head, and the second time I came home I threw up 7 times in about 20 minutes and could hardly get it under control, even with a home health nurse there.
So, this time I stayed through till Saturday, and sure enough the migraine came (worse than any normal migraine I've ever had, even Lortab didn't touch it). I stayed until we got it under control. About a half hour before I left they gave me a dose of Lasix (makes me get rid of all the water weight). I double checked and asked if they were sure my doc wanted me to have it right then. They said I couldn't leave without it, doctors orders. I told them I had an hour drive home, and I honestly think they felt bad after injecting it! My doc had left when I had the migraine still and didn't think I'd be leaving for a while. This stuff makes you have to go to the bathroom constantly and A LOT! Let's just say poor Dad (he drove me home). I didn't even make it five miles. Luckily we only stopped one more time, but barely made it home. The reason for the Lasix is to get all the water weight off from the capillary leak. I gained 20 pounds. This stuff makes me shed it in about 5 days. It's crazy and so hard on my body.
So, I got home and had a pretty uneventful Saturday. I felt so bad for Justin though. He started getting an ear infection on Wednesday and by today it's a full blown sinus and head infection. He had to call the doctor this morning and get on a stronger antibiotic. Who knew I would be feeling better than he did. I am so glad to say I had a much better recovery this time than the last two times. The migraine is still here, but managed by Imitrex.
Last night (Sat night) I went to bed extremely exhausted having only gotten a couple hours of sleep maybe. As soon as my head hit the pillow, my brain totally woke up. I didn't sleep one minute last night. I forgot how bad the insomnia was with this treatment. I got up around 2 or 3 and had Justin give me a dose through IV of phenergine (nausea meds). I have never not fallen asleep with the stuff almost immediately. I didn't. I was so frustrated. I got up and had a banana with a little sugar and milk on it, read a magazine and watched tv, but for the most part I tossed and turned in bed "trying" to sleep. Poor Justin, it kept him up a lot too.
This morning was really nice. I was up at 7 with Colton. I missed my kids sooooo much. I got two full hours just me and him. He's such a sweet loving baby. He's growing up way too fast! I did really well today. I tried to relax this afternoon and maybe slep an hour of the 1 1/2 hours I was down. It was a nice relaxing Sunday with my family. Here's to a good week home before I go back in again.

3 comments:

pacemaker said...

So glad you're home with your babies! Take really good care of yourself, I know most of the time Mom doesn't put herself first!

Lisa K said...

Hi Michelle! I stalk your blog every once in awhile. =)

I'm so sorry you're going through this and I'll definitely keep you in my prayers!

Mariah said...

Hang in there Michelle! You are such a strong person and a good example. I am so glad that this treatment seems to be working! You and your family are in my prayers.

label