Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Things didn't go as planned

I went up to Huntsman for treatment planning for the SBRT Radiation treatments. They basically made a full body cast for the bottom half of me from head to toe. It was really cool. Then they stuck a sheet of plastic on me from waist down and then vacummed all the air out. This was to ensure I would hold exactly still. This is a very precise science and they had to have it perfect. The nice thing is that I didn't have to get a new tattoo. They could go off of the tattoo I got from my last round of radiation. (It's a black dot as big a a pin point). They did a CT scan to help plan out the treatment.
When I was at my mom's picking up the kids, I got a call from Dr. Hitchcock. She asked how my back is feeling. I told her the pain has gotten a lot worse. She said she isn't surprised, she also said that the tumor has grown and is now in my spinal column and that we can't do the high dose radiation. It is far too dangerous. So, I will go in on Wed (tomorrow) and do another scan and get ready for regular radiation. We'll do that for 3 weeks and if the tumor has shrunk and out of the spinal column enough, then we can do the high dose radiation and zap that sucker! I will start treatment as early as Thursday if they have an opening, if not I will start Monday.
She also put me on Steroids to help with the swelling, inflammation, and pain. I am not excited about this at all. Last time I was on these I put on 10 pounds in 2 weeks, plus they make me irritable. She didn't say how long I'll be on them, probably at least till the pain starts to go away.
So, here's life throwing me another curve ball I wasn't expecting. I had a feeling that it was going to happen this way though. The pain in my back all of a sudden got so much worse last week.
At least the tumors in my lung are shrinking. Something positive to look at.
Other than that, things are going really well for us. I have most of my energy back now and feeling pretty darn good. The kids are loving that I have more energy to play with them too.

2 comments:

Kenison Family said...

Hey Michelle! I am always so impressed with your attitude!! You are the best. Is there anything I can do for you. We are moving back to Saratoga the beginning of April and I will be a lot closer and more able to help. I really would love to help you out in any way that I can. Hey even if I just take Colton, he and Rex would have a blast playing together! You are in our prayers!
Rachel

Sarah said...

No fun to have things take a turn in the wrong direction. I love your optimism--it's going to come out right in the end.

Can't wait to have Brooklyn play tomorrow!

P.S. You need to post some fun Disneyland pictures!

label