Monday, March 16, 2009

Michelle's surgery update

Michelle’s surgery was wrapped up at roughly 9:00pm. Leon, Michelle’s dad was there to meet the Dr. I missed talking to him by about 10 minutes. He said that she did very well. I will summarize with some notes that Leon took following his conversation with the Dr.:
The surgeon removed T9-T10
Spinal fusion was between T6-L2
Most of a rib was removed either on 9 or 10 not sure which.
The incision follows (from what we gather) her spine and along the rib that was removed.
They DID NOT get clear margins. (This means that not all the cancer was removed, there is still some in the operative area that they were unable to get to considering the spinal cord, etc.) There is also a questionable spot that was inoperable on T11. Hopefully radiation will get the rest, we’ll see.
The tumor fortunately bled very little thanks to the procedure she underwent on Saturday. These types of tumors tend to bleed a lot so this was good news.
She is and will continue to receive blood transfusions tonight.
She will experience quite a lot of pain over the next few days especially during her stay in the hospital. The soonest she will be out will be Saturday of this week.
For what it’s worth, the Dr. couldn’t see any of the spots that had been in her lungs but future scans will tell that tale.
She is still intibated and will be through tomorrow morning.
She will be in a very critical care unit of the hospital and cannot receive visitors, phone calls, etc.
It will probably be towards the end of the week before our kids will see her. Leon and I are waiting outside in the waiting room and have not seen her yet. It will be close to midnight before we will be able to see her.
This is all that we know at this point, this was a very invasive procedure, more so that I think either of us imagined. Michelle has been through more than anyone I know personally and I know that many of you can say the same thing about her. I do not know how she continues to fight through surgery after surgery and all the pain that comes with it. She refuses to give up her fight and I know how grateful she is for all the thoughts and prayers on her behalf, as does her family and I.
For my sake, please continue to follow this blog as I will do my very best to update it whenever I have any news this next week. It is too difficult to respond to texts, emails and phone calls from everyone individually. If you are restless and need to call me for any reason, please do so and if I can get to your call I will.
Again thank you all for everything you have done for our family. I will keep everyone posted! J

6 comments:

kstrack said...

I will continue to pray for you & Michelle. Love you both very much!

mary grace said...

God bless you and Michelle. She is a fighter, and such a good mommy. I am hoping for happy outcomes. Love you.

Tracy Giles said...

We had no clue you guys were going through so much!! You will be in our prayers! Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Sarah said...

I haven't stopped thinking about Michelle all day, wondering how the surgery was going, and how the family was. She's so incredible, that even though this experience is horrific, she'll come out of it with a smile. Think positive, Michelle.

I watched out the window last night as Devon (with her rollerblades on) helped Wyatt go up and down the sidewalk for a long time on his bike. It was really sweet, and he looked like he was loving it.

Seth and Julie said...

Hey guys! First of all, since I haven't seen you guys in 4 years I have to say that your kids are beautiful!

We had no idea all of this crazy stuff was going on. We are praying for you!!!

Thunderbay said...

My heart is with your family... I hope Michelle gets better really soon. I wish I could take the pain away from all of you. I can't imagine what she is going through right now and I just want you to know she is a fighter and she is going to recovery quickly. Your family is always in my prayers and always know I am here if you need a babysitter. Even if I live far away, I can always help.

label