Monday, February 2, 2009

It keeps pouring

So I thought I would try and have a normal week of recovering. Everyone was starting to feel better, so why not one more thing, right? This weekend starting on Friday I had my central line removed (I can't tell you how good that feels). Everything went well, and I was even talked out of getting the sedation this time. The lady that removed knew what she was doing. The only part that hurt was the first shot of lidocaine. It was a lot of twisting and pulling which was uncomfortable, but I would do this anyday over getting sedated.
Saturday morning I woke up and had a fever of 102. On my last central line, I got an infection, so I wasn't gonna play around. I immediately called up to Huntsman and they told me to go to Instacare and have the site looked at for signs of infection. It looked really clean, so we figured it was just a virus. I wish now we would have done blood tests, it would have showed the truth. So, I came home and my fever spiked to 104. I thought that was high for an adult to get. I tried to sleep that night, but kept waking up drenched in sweat and having shaking chills. I knew something was wrong when the thermometer read 105.4!!!! I think I was out of it. I took some tylenol and went back to bed. I was really lethargic at this point.
I called back up to Huntsman Sunday morning and got the doctor on call. She prescribed a very generic antibiotic. I started taking that around 11. Of course it was Superbowl Sunday. I have been sick the last two years and got thrown up on the year before that. We've always been invited to the same house, and I think they think I'm avoiding them. I better not be sick next year! So, I sent the family away to the party thinking I could rest while they were gone. while home, the site where the line was removed started oozing. I knew it! I was just waiting for that to happen. Shaking chills are a sign of infection. I called back up to Huntsman and was told I might have to be hospitalized for IV antibiotics. Not again! She told me she needed to call me back so she could run it by another doctor. She called back with the best news, I could take an oral antibiotic. Yay! It is most likely a staff infection, which is generally the kind of infection IL-II patients get. I told her that's exactly what I had last time. So, I think we figured it out. After sweating it out a couple more times last night I am down to 99 this morning, so I think it's working. I am still very weak and tired, but glad to not have to sit by the fire to stop shaking from the chills.
We are ready for better times ahead, I'll tell you. These last couple weeks are going down in the books for sure!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good gravy, Michelle. One thing after another. I'm glad the oral antibiotics are helping. You're one tough cookie.
Sorry Brooklyn couldn't stay longer today--we'll have her over again tomorrow or something--the girls love her!

MommyK said...

Sheesh!!! It does pour on you guys!! Hopefully the infection clears fast. I bet you just want to have some energy back! Call me when you are feeling better!!

label