Sunday, February 8, 2009

Words cannot express...

This post is from Justin, tis is the first time I have posted on here but I thought it appropriate to start with this:

I know that Michelle has offered her perspective of what happened to us on the evening of February 6th but I could not go on without at least trying to put into words the story of what took place and how grateful we are for all the people that we know and love that were there to support us.

Greg and Stephanie Baker are two of the greatest and most charitable people that the Lord has ever put on this earth. Last year, initially after word from Michelle’s Doctor became increasingly bleak about her prognosis, Greg and Steph took us up to a nice hotel in Park City with them for a nice night out. This year, they invited us up to Snowbird for a night. We were excited for the possibility of a quiet night amongst adults so this was a treat in and of itself. Greg told me that the room was through his work so it was no big deal. I gave very little thought to it up until the night started to unravel.

Greg told us to dress somewhat nice as he had set up reservations at a nice restaurant at the mouth of the canyon. He and Steph were to pick us up at roughly 5:30. At around 5:45 there was a knock at the door. It wasn’t Greg or Steph, it actually was a limo driver and in the driveway was a beautiful, white stretch limo. The driver told us that he was there to pick us up and take us to Snowbird. The Baker’s and a couple of other families in our ward have pulled stuff like this before so as grateful as we were, we weren’t incredibly surprised by the limo. The evening continued and we began our trip in the limo. Shortly after leaving the driver told us that we would be picking up the rest of our party at La Caille (THE restaurant to eat in all of Utah). Michelle and I began to think that maybe something was up and became excited at the prospect at eating at La Caille. I’ve never been there with the exception of attending a wedding reception there several years ago.

With some careful driving and an eventual 14 point turn into the tight driveway of La Caille, we were taken up to the Green Room portion of the restaurant. When the limo came to a stop, not only did Greg emerge from the front door, but Jim Moore (one of the “big three” in our ward that would do anything for anybody in need at anytime for any reason) joined alongside him. Michelle and I could do nothing but look at each other and try to figure out what was going on. We got out of the limo and found that this was turning out to be more than just a small gathering of friends. Cody Pilcher apparently followed us with a video camera all the way from our house and Justin Brady was there to get our reaction as we walked out of the limo.

As we were trying get over the shock of what had already taken place, the real surprise was still waiting for us. We walked up the stairs to the reception area and were greeted by Stephanie, Michelle Moore, and Michelle’s parents to name a few. The shock of what was taking place was beginning to take hold of both of us and tears were seriously starting to flow. Michelle’s mom pinned on a corsage to Michelle we made our way into the Green Room where over 90 of our closest friends and family were gathered to honor Michelle.

Much of the night is a blur as it took sometime for much of the shock to wear off. It was simply amazing to see so many people that have in some way been affected by Michelle and her courageous battle with this horrible disease. There was a silent auction with many items that had been donated from places such as the University of Utah and BYU athletic departments, and many other local businesses and individuals. I would love to mention and thank many people that donated individually but I know I would forget someone and I do not want to take credit away from all that deserve it. Greg pretty much conducted the auction and recognized all those that played such a large part in putting everything together. To conclude the evening, before Michelle and I were asked to say a few words, we were presented with a gift basket of many other gift cards and other items that had been contributed by many others but than the surprise of the night, Greg presented us with a certificate notifying us that at the time over $8500 had been raised to help us with medical bills and anything else that we stand in need of. Needless to say I was at a loss for words and Michelle was much the same. We both did our best to get through what we could to say thank you to all those that were in attendance and that played such a huge part in putting everything together. This was the first time in many years that Michelle has spoken publicly as she has had confidence issues to the paralysis she suffered on the left side of her face due to the many surgeries she has gone through. I was so proud of her courage in doing so.

As the party came to a close, we were told to go to the Grand America Hotel, the only 5 star hotel in Utah. Our room was an executive suite with an incredible view of the valley. We had many hours to enjoy the room as neither of us could settle down enough to go sleep. Beyond our wedding night, this was by far the most memorable experience that either of us have been a part of. It would not be possible for me to put into words how grateful we are for all that were in attendance to make this night so spectacular.


The event was planned over several months with help of family, friends, ward members, my current and past employers and many people behind the scenes that we have never met. La Caille graciously donated the space for the party and offered each guest a $50 gift certificate for a return trip to the restaurant. The committee that put this whole operation together established a foundation in the name of Desmoplastic Melanoma, the disease that Michelle is suffering from. Dr. Bentz, Michelle’s primary physician and Joyce Pell, from Huntsman Cancer institute were an integral part of getting all the information needed to establish the charity. We could not be more grateful for all that the team at Huntsman has done to care for Michelle and make sure she is comfortable and has everything she needs to fight and recover from this disease.

We have stewed over how to show our gratitude to all those responsible for putting such an event together. I know many names have been mentioned in this blog but many people who have not been named our in our hearts and we could not be more grateful for your friendship. A special thanks to the ownership and staff of La Caille for helping make the event possible and our sincerest thanks to those friends of ours (you know who you are) that spent countless hours and sleepless nights in putting all this together. You will be in our hearts forever and we will never forget what you did for us.

We truly hope to maximize the potential and opportunities of the foundation in the future to help those individuals and families that have been affected by this or any similar disease. It is a goal of ours to be able to find a local family in a similar situation as ours that we can help in either lifting their spirits or lightening their financial burden. Please be mindful of those around you in need and pass on the spirit of charity when possible. You never know how much you can impact someone with just a little effort.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

So I was blog stalking from another friends blog and thought I would see if I knew the people on her blog list. So I clicked on people and then I got to yours. I thought I would read the post. (I never do that. I just look at pics. If there are no pics I figure i don't know the people and leave the blog) Anyway, I started reading and finished the latest entry. I was so touched. Then I looked at the people that YOU have listed and realized you knew the same people I knew. It took me a minute but then it hit me, I was reading Michelle "Langson's" blog. Kind of crazy!

Anyway,I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. What a neat experience for you and your husband. It brought tears to my eyes. I just love when people serve and help others in need. It always makes me cry when I hear stories of service and selflessness. Those individuals will be greatly blessed. I hope you are doing ok and you will be in my prayers that's for sure! Anyway, if you don't mind I would like to add you to my list of people that keep up w/ through blogging :)
Take care!!!
Love
Mandy "Chapman" Hallam

Shelly said...

I also found your blog from someone else's (Jennifer Brady).

I realized after reading your story that my husband was having a wide excision and node biopsy for melanoma at Huntsman Cancer on the same day as one of your surgeries (December 19th). In fact, I remember Justin sitting across from me, talking on his cell phone. I was sitting with a baby.

Your blog is so touching... You are so brave. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Melanoma is a tough disease and you have so much courage.... Take care and stay strong!!!

Shelly Wolf

Tessa8763 said...

I found your blog while searching for others who are struggling with DM. I recieved more sad DM news in my own family today.
My Father was diagnosed with DM in the Summer of 2000. He has lost most of the use of his left arm from the extensive and numerous surgeries. Although hindered by the lack information on this cancer, I have studied it extensively. Luckily, his doctor, Dr. Brendon Curti, is THE foremost researcher/expert on DM in the Pacific Northwest. I want to tell you to fight hard and keep positive. It sounds like you have an amaising support group. Thank you for sharing your story. It was very uplifting for me.

label