Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Radiation...Again

I didn't want to post this until I knew anything for sure. Last week I went in for a follow up appointment with my radiation oncologist, Dr. Hitchcock. When she walked in the room and started talking to me, she expressed a huge concern about the tumor that is in and around my rib on my back. She looked at a scan we did about two months ago and was concerned that this tumor is too close to my spine. Also, she was saying it was about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I made her back up and clarify because as far as I had thought, it was really small. She was concerned that it has grown in the last couple months and could cause neurological problems among other problems. The only thing I know for sure, is that it is causing pain, which has gotten worse the last couple weeks. The only time it bothers me is when I am laying down to go to sleep. Dr. Hitchcock wanted to do a scan that day and start radiation treatments this week. I expressed my concerns and wanted to talk to Dr. Akerley first and see what he thought and why this hadn't been a concern until she looked at it.
So, yesterday I was on the phone and he consented that it would be wise to do this treatment. It is called SBRT, I can't remember what it stands for again. I will post the video on it again if I can get it. It will be 3-5 treatments, every other day for about a week and a half. It takes two hours per session. My last radiation if you remember was 7 1/2 weeks and 20 minute sessions. That was on my head and neck, which is the worst place to recieve radiation. This would be so much more tolerable. I won't have side effects until treatments are over. This would most likely include redness at the site and possible nausea (depends on how they point the radiation, if it hits my stomach or not), and maybe fatigue. Basically a piece of cake compared to my last radiation treatments. I am all for this if all it does is alleviate the back pain I've been having. I will go in on March 9th for treatment planning and then start approximately a week later. This will not interfere with any future treatments and can only do me some good. I'll tell ya, I was kinda scared when Dr. Hitchcock brought all this to my attention, but I have since calmed down and feel that this is a great option for me.

2 comments:

J and D said...

You're in my prayers Michelle!
I wish there was something more that I could offer to do for you! However, I do know that Heavenly Father has you in his loving care, and there is nothing more reassuring as that.
Hang in there!!

Sarah said...

Oh man, I didn't want to hear you have to go through more treatments. I hope this helps keep you comfortable--especially at night. Keep your chin up, and let me know when I can help with the kids!

label