Friday, May 22, 2009

We say goodbye one last time..

I am really going to do my best to stay on top of this blog because I know that is what Michelle would want me to do. As I go forward, please be patient as the posts may be fewer and less often but I can promise that I will try, blogging for me is a fairly new experience..

Last night and today were very special days as we had the opportunity to say goodbye to Michelle one final time. her viewing was yesterday, May 20 at Wing Mortuary in Lehi. There was a tremendous turnout and miraculously, it ended right on time. We thought for sure that we were going to be there into the late hours of the night. Prior ot the viewing, and I would kill myself if I forgot these details, on Tuesday night, Leon, Lori and I had the chance to dress Michelle in her temple robes and do her hair and make up. None of us were really sure how this was going to go and we were all understandably nervous. When we first arrived at the mortuary, she was laying there, on the cold metal table in her temple dress. It was very difficult to see her lifeless body laying there so vulnerable and helpless. I initially got very emotional and fortunately Lori was there to help me cry on her shoulder and gain my composure. When we all had a few minutes to catch our breath, Quinn from the mortuary helped us get things going. We got her dressed with little discussion and than were able to move onto her makeup and hair. This is where it got exciting..
We aren't sure what happened exactly but the three of us just started talking about some of the memories of Michelle but as we started her makeup, we couldn't help but start laughing as we could only imagine Michelle watching us from on high and just laughing at the effort we were making to try to do her justice. She was always so beautiful and she had such a way of making herself up daily that made her so stunning. I have never done make up anywhere, on anyone, EVER!! But I took the reigns and made it happen. It involved several q-tips, cotton balls and tissues but somehow or another, we did her justice. I later found out that concealer and lipstick are not the same thing even though the manufacturer insists on putting them in identical containers. I did my best, I think she would appreciate it, regardless of how good or bad we feel we did. It gave us an opportunity to laugh and joke about her for a few minutes privately together which the three of us really enjoyed.
Her viewing went very well. Great turnout, many tears and lasting, loving tributes. It was very fiiting for her, being the angel that she was and is to have so many visitors and loved one's there to pay their respects.
This morning was the funeral. I wasn't lloking forward to speaking as up until this morning I had nothing prepared to say. I trusted that she would be right there beside me to guide me and she for sure was. She opened my mind to some great memories as soon as I got up this morning. I immediately upon getting out of the shower grabbed a pen as I didn't want to forget anything that she was whispering in my ear. The funeral was set up very nicely and again we had many visitors come through prior to the service to not only pay Michelle their respects but to also show me their love and support which I greatly appreciated. The hardest part by far since her passing was when we had to close the casket one last time after veiling her face. It was hard to know that I will not see her beautiful face again other than in pictures until we meet in heaven. The service was beautiful. Leon, Jackie and I all did very well and I really feel that she was honored as she should have been. Natalie Griffith and Christine Ivie sang a beautiful rendition of Nearer My God To Thee and Tyler played Ashokan Farewell on the Piano. We did our best to make it light, funny, but at the same time touching and with perspective. She had touched the lives of so many for so long. It was nice to see the turnout, the room was packed. I was honored to be able to speak about the many fun times that we had together and about her little quirks like bunco and her adorable crooked smile forced on her by numerous surgeries. She was loved by so many ad will obviously never be forgotten.
I have greatly appreciated the kind words spoken of her and also the thoughts and well wishes that have been directed to me through all of this. I was married to a truly amazing woman. My kids were blessed with the best mother in the world, and I know her parents could not possibly be prouder of the daughter that they did such a good job bringing up. Thank you to all the attended both physically and in spirit. Thank you to all that donated to my children and her foundation as well. My family is so well taken care of, we are so blessed to live where we live and to have so many amazing people surrounding us. I know there is a reason we are living here at this time. We truly were guided here by powers on high and I could not be happier than I am right now. I am excited for what lies ahead. I know it will be difficult and I know that Michelle will be right there beside me in all that I do. I expect her to mess with me from time to time as she did here while she was alive and I welcome it. As the Alan Jackson song "Sissy's Song" states, "Don't worry 'bout me", I know Michelle is in the loving arms of so many that have gone before her, she loved and was loved by so many, thank you for everything that everyone has done. Love to all!

13 comments:

Collard Girls said...

Love you Justin.

Marianne said...

Justin- I am so glad that I was able to attend both the viewing and the funeral. I have not been able to stop thinking about all the wonderful things that were said about Michelle and how many lives she touched and influenced through the years. I know that I have a stronger testimony on the great plan the Lord has for all of us and that we will all be together again someday. Michelle has inspired me to be a better mother, wife and overall person and to appreciate everyday that I have here with my family. I only hope that one day I can be the great person that she was. I admire the strength that you have shown through everything and I am glad that we have been able to be friends with both of you for so long. Adam is lucky to have you as one of his closest friends. Again, our prayers continue to be with you and your family and thank you for letting us learn so much through you and Michelle. Love you both. -Marianne

Melissa Calder said...

Justin-
I'm so glad everything went so well. I was so bummed we couldn't make it to Utah but like you said those from afar were there in spirit! If you get a chance, let us know when you update the blog how the kids are doing. I can't even tell you how many of mine and Michelle's conversations were about your kiddos. She was the one who kept reassuring me that it would be ok to have a son and she would go on about how much she loved being a mom! I think about your kids SO often, I hope they, especially Brooklyn, are doing ok with everything.
When we come to Utah next time, we'd love to see you all.
Melissa & Regan Calder

Summer said...

Justin,

It's so good to hear that everything went well the last few days. Also good to hear that the events were to celebrate Michelle, her life and her positive impact on so many people. I look forward to updates on the blog (whenever you get around to them) to see how your family continues to grow. You are a very strong person and should be very proud of yourself as a husband and father.

Melanie said...

You are so great. Thanks again for your example and your testimony. Michelle is so lucky to be loved so much. I hope she really messes with you about your bike. I'll send the pictures so you can add them to the blog. Tell your Mom thanks again for the seat.

efusjonweave said...

Justin-

Michelle's funeral was just as beautiful as she was! I know that she was happy with the way that it turned out. You did such a terrific job summarizing what a lovely person Michelle was. I cannot believe that she is really gone. I will miss her with all my heart, but I will never forget all the wonderful lessons that I learned from her. Most of all, I will miss Bunco Nights with Michelle. Like you said, she truly did love that game (even if it did cost $500, it was totally worth every penny!). Whatever you need, we will be here. Thank you again for sharing your wonderful wife with our family.

The Weaver Family

pacemaker said...

Justin,
Thank you for trying to carry on what was important to Michelle. You write and express yourself very adequately. You have a great sense of humor, yet are sensitive about those things that are personal. I have thought everyday since Michelle passed away about her, you and your family. I'm honored to have been able to attend the funeral and to be a small part of your life, even if much of that has been from a distance. Love you.

Jamie Christensen said...

Justin- Hello, its your old neighbor Jamie Christensen. Broc and I hear of michelles passing Wed. night. We are so sorry for your loss. I was able to attend the funeral and what a beautiful service. I am sorry that I did not get to talk with you. Broc was unable to make it but wanted me to let you know that he is praying for you and the kids and sends love your way. I was able to keep in touch with Michelle through Facebook. It was great for me to feel of her strength and determination. I remember when I first met Michelle and I was struck by her grace and beauty. Broc and I feel so blessed to have had you two as our neighbors. You have been a strength and example to us. Much Love, Jamie Christensen

Brian and Stephanie Wood said...

I don't know you or your beautiful wife. My brother-in-law, Jonathan, works with Leon. But I wanted to tell you how inspired I have been reading this blog today. I haven't felt the spirit so much in a ver long time. Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you and your family the very best.

Andrew & Melanie said...

Hey Justin,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you every day as Greg and Steph have kept us up on everything.

God bless you and your family.

Melanie Crowley (Greg Baker's sister)

doulajulie said...

Justin, you rock. You did very well in your talk. Michelle would have been proud. One of the best funerals I have ever been too and I know for a fact she was standing right next to you while you were speaking. It is nice to know that you realize that she is still going to make her presence known to you and the kids.

makin clan said...

Hey Justin,

Thank you so much for posting this. You are an excellent writer I might add. We were able to attend Michelle's veiwing but not funeral. When I got to school that night, I was feeling rather tender. I was able to visit with Heather, which made all the difference.

Justin and I went to the temple after Michelle's viewing and my mind never left you or your precious children. I kept getting the strongest feelig that she was attending to you and your children. As I was getting dressed after our work, I felt the greatest feelig of peace come over me. I am so grateful for the Holy Ghost, and we will continue to pray that it attends you and your family often.

Love you Justin.

The Holders said...

I did not know your wife but her story has touched me. I am a friend of Joey and Leslie's. My heart breaks for your family but I know that our heavenly father knows what he is doing and won't give us trials that we cannot handle. Thank you for sharing your story!

label