Saturday, May 30, 2009

Back from Vegas, back to real life

I had a nice little three day rereat to Las Vegas for work Wed-Friday. It really was a great deal down there, they sent us down by air, kept us at the New York New York on the strip and really didn't work us too hard at all. We got in fairly early on Wednesday and had some time to kill before having a cocktail party (we drank Coke and Fresca of course) and than we had a dinner with some awards and a speaker before getting turned loose. Thursday was pretty relaxed with meetings until 3:00 and than the whole day off. Thursday night was a blast. We went to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory at Caesars befire running to the Belagio to see "O" by Cirque Du Soleil. Absolutely unbelievable. I can't imagine where they find the people to do the stuff that the show requires. If you get a chance, go check it out!! After that, we went out to the Stratosphere to take on the sky rides. Since most of us had done the Big Shot we decided to do two of the other rides. I forget the name of both of them, but holy crap. I wish I would have had a change of pants! Friday was a couple of short meetings and than the flight home. It was nice to wake up to my kids this morning after the days without them.
Today was a great day with the kids. A friend of ours set up for the kids to meet and ride a couple of horses up in Bell Canyon. The family was so sweet, the horses were so gentle and the kids had an amazing experience. One very special experience was shortly after we got there, a huge yellow monarch butterfly came out of nowhere and almost "kissed" Wyatt on the nose before circling Brooklyn's head twice and than taking off. The lady that owner the horses said in fourteen years she had never seen anything like that at her place, we all looked at each other and all of us agreed that it was likely Michelle that was responsible and in her own little way, dropping by to say hello and I love you to the kids. After playing with the animals for a little while, I took the two oldest to Toys R Us with the gift card that my Marine buddy Joey put together with his shop. The kids had a ball picking virtually everything they wanted, Christmas may get cancelled this year!! :)
After being away for a couple of days, coming home to the house again made me reflect back on Michelle most of the day. It is still hard to believe that she is gone. It just doesn't seem real. It's very difficult to deal with. I hate going to bed alone and I hate looking around the room forgetting momentarily that she isn't there anymore. It is so hard but I know she is with us always and that with time it will get easier. I see her in the face of all three of my beautiful kids, I see her in the sunrise and set, I feel her everywhere I go. We all miss her but knowing that we will see her again one day makes it easier. Our nine year anniversary would have been June 1.
I am anxious and aprehensive about the future. I know that I will eventually move on and I pray that all will be supportive of whenever I make the decision to do so. My kids and I have a busy summer ahead. We are trying to manage Dad+3, I feel vastly outnumbered but we are getting it figured out. Broooklyn and Wyatt are tremendous helpers for Daddy in dealing with Colton. As he gets more mobile, he gets more difficult to control.

4 comments:

doulajulie said...

You deserved to have a little vacation. Yes, it will get easier, it always does and Michelle will always be there in her way to make sure you are taken care of. God wouldn't have taken her away without some extra help here for you and the kids. Keep looking for those little gifts that God will keep sending and Michelle will always try to show that she is still there. I truly believe that. If you don't have a dog perhaps now is the time to get the biggest dog you can find and I am sure it would love to be there next to you in bed. :) Certainly won't take Michelle's presence but at least it will warm you with it's hot breath and heavy breathing. lol

Laura said...

So glad you had fun in Vegas. Man, they never sent me to Vegas - you are super lucky! Sounds like a great trip!

Melanie said...

It is so good to hear you are all doing well. I still think about Michelle every day. Please let me know if you need any thing at all. I would love to have the kids over to play if you need some one during the day.We will have to have you over for dinner too. Jer makes some awesome smoked meat. Oh and we still haven't seen the bike!

abancroft said...

I miss you Michelle, every day.
Your guiding, loving hands have helped that little rascal, Colton, to walk! I know he was just holding off until you were in heaven to make things easier for all of us, and you, while you were here with us. His job was to just be a joy to us all and be the loving little thing he is! Now that you are gone and in a safe place, he will show his true colors and drive us all crazy!!! Walking and learning to talk and being into everything!!!

label