Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tough Decisions!

As many know, I am fighting cancer and am now stuck in a bit of a tight spot. I tried to qualify for a clinical trial back east, but my HLA blood typing test (tissue typing) came back as the wrong one for the trial or any of their trials for that matter. I haven't posted anything for a while, because I myself have been waiting to figure out what I am going to do next.
Yesterday I met with Dr. Akereley at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. He gave me a few options.

The first being the most effective is the High Dose of Interlukin II, which would add about 5 years onto my life. This would include a week in the ICU in the hospital, a week out, another week in, four weeks out, and another week in. They inject foreign genes into my body that are supposed to fight off the cancer. In doing this, most of my major body organs would be almost shut down for that whole week and then after a few days I would be pretty much back to normal. Then obviously do it 2 more times. Sounds really grueling and out of a scale of 1-4, 4 being the worst side effects possible, my doctor gave it a 4+!

Second he gave me the option of Biochemotherapy. This would include a lower dose of the Interlukin II, Interferon, and a pill (I can't read his handwriting-not sure what the drug is called. Starts with a Tem-something). This would add about 4-5 years and the side effects are rated a 3+. This would entail being in the hospital for the first week, 2nd week would be 3 self injections at home, and have weeks 3 & 4 off. I would repeat this hopefully if tolerable, the rest of my life. He said most patients last 4-6 months and take a break from the side effects and start up again.

Third is something called DTIC (an IV given every 3 weeks) and the same pill I couldn't read his handwriting as before. This would add one year and side effects are a 1+.

Fourth is a clinical trial that would go one of two ways. The computer randomly picks which one you get. Arm one includes taking pills at home. Arm two includes taking one pill at home and a weekly IV. The side effects aren't rated as this is a clinical trial and also the years of life added are unknown. Looking throught the side effects it sounds really similar to the side effects of chemo. Not fun. The drugs in this study are ones they are already using for kidney cancer and leukemia. They are studying this as a secondary cure for melanoma since all three cancers are similar in that they are immune system cancers. The only way I would be able to do this trial is if I do it before any of the other three options. Otherwise I will NEVER be able to do it. The risks seem high and I am still not sure if I would do this first or not at all.

So as you see my decision is a tough one. I am getting a CT scan tomorrow at Huntsman to look at the tumor on my rib to see if it is measurable (big enough for them to see if it shrinks with treatment) for the clinical trial. The only other tumor I had was on my neck and suddenly disappeared! Yay.
I was told yesterday that now that my cancer is moving in my bloodstream it decreases my chances for survival. So I need to act fast on one of these. I have two weeks to decide what I am going to do. Prayers would help!

The reason for this post is to be informal for all those who keep asking what I am going to do next. As you can see this will not be easy. I know there will be a lot of opinions and questions. You can email me any concerns you have. I love you all! Thanks for all of your prayers and putting my name in the temple. All of your support has made all the difference in the world.

11 comments:

Mama said...

Our prayers are being poured out for you! You guys are such an amazing family, and you are such an amazing woman. You are seriously a huge example to me!
Jen Brady

Kenison Family said...

I can not even explain the sorrow that I feel for you. I wish there was something I could do to ease your burden. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. You are constantly in our prayers and we love you!
Rachel Kenison

Melinda said...

I can't even tell you how bad I wish we were neighbors! There really is nothing I can say that will help cause I think the Lord will probably give you the best advice. All I can say is that I am here for you and pray for you. Good luck in the weeks to come and the decisions you will be making.

Nick Park said...

Michelle,
You are in my prayers, I feel horrible that you have to be going through this. You are in good hands with the Huntsman Cancer Institute though, and they will be able to give you the best options that they have available. Do all the things that you already know you need to be doing to receive an answer and go with it. I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers and be sure to pass on the word to others to do the same.

Justin and kids said...

Wow! Thanks guys! You are too awesome!

WX Ences said...

There are no words to describe what I am feeling after reading this. After hearing about the mysterious disappearance of your neck tumor I was so happy and even hopeful that the end was in sight. I had no idea things had gotten to this point.
Please know that our family is praying for you. We want to assist in any way we can. Joe still has those two round trip tickets saved for you. PLEASE use them!!! I don't care if you take a holiday to Tahiti, just USE them!
I don't envy the decision you guys will be making, but I do pray you will find comfort and peace in your decision. The Lord loves you, we love you and we will support you in any way we can! You are such an example of strength and I admire you so much.
All my love,
Audri

P.S. We got the house! It still needs a LOT of work, but we want you to come out and visit when you have the chance!

Brooke said...

michelle, I love you! Brooke

MommyK said...

Michelle you are such a strong woman and such an inspiration to me. I hope you know how much you are loved because I care about you so much and you are always in my prayers. I know that you will make the right decision for you! Let me know if you need ANYTHING!!
Love Karalee

kstrack said...

The Strack's love you and are praying for you!

Holly Grow said...

We will be fasting and praying for you. We know you will do what is best. There are many, many people who will love and support you through this. Don't be shy about letting us help you out. We love you. The Grow family

Janet said...

Thank you for sharing your struggles with us. I don't know what to say except we are praying for you and long to help in any way. Your positive attitude has been a fantastic example to me. I know God will not leave you comfortless. Love, Janet Cherrington

label