Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hope

So, I wasn't sure if I should share or not what happened yesterday. Not sure if it false hope that was instilled or something that can really be done. I went to an appointment, yes another one, up at Huntsman for a follow up with my radiation oncologist Dr. Hitchcock. She said that I am healing well and everything looks good. She was glad I put some weight back on, and said I was too skinny before. She told me about something they are doing at Huntsman and only a few other places across the country. It is called Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT). They can do pinpoint radiation right on a tumor like the ones inside my lung. It would only take 3 treatments in a week to get rid of a tumor! How crazy is that? Also, the tumor in my rib, they could use electron radiation on that for 2-3 weeks and have it gone. Sounds too good to be true and like a quick fix. The only problem with that is we need to get the cancer out of my bloodstream first or it will keep going and we'll keep doing radiation on spots. Dr. Hitchcock recommended doing a therapy first and maybe reconstruction and then to talk to her about it. I emailed myself the video of it that they showed me up there. It was a video clip of the news talking about it. I'll see if I can post it on here from my email. I am not that technologically advanced yet.
Tonight, Dr. Bentz finally called. He was out of town all week. I was so glad to hear a familiar voice from Huntsman as he is my rock of a doctor. He was the first doctor I saw up there (even though I have a team of doctors). I needed his opinion about my decision on my next therapy as I have been given a big decision to make. I feel that he knows my whole situation and what I am facing. After much discussion about all my options and talking from a spiritual perspective, he left it up to me. He heavily warned me about how hard the Interlukin II will be. Obviously pretty rough because of the stay in the ICU. I felt much better after talking to him.

1 comment:

Shelisa Hill said...

Michelle I just want to let you know how much I care for you and your family. I want you to know that David and I pray for you and your family everyday and I just wanted to let you know that we are here for you if you ever need anything. Just give me a call anytime day or night. Stay strong god loves you and your family he will never leave you.

Shelisa

label